History of the Hotel
The hotel was originally built in 1910 by Dr. William Thornton, as the first hospital in the entire Bitterroot Valley. It was constructed in the Classic Revival style with arched windows, dormers and beautiful white Tuscan columns holding up the 2-story veranda with spindled railings. Modern equipment included a pressure sterilizer and photo x-ray machine. The hospital engaged private nurses to care for the patients. Surgical procedures were performed on the second floor. Seventeen patient rooms were located on the second and third floors. The first floor was Dr. Thornton's office and family living quarters.
In 1917, Dr. Thornton moved to Missoula and continued to bring quality medical care to the people. The new owner, Dr. P.S. Rennick, remodeled the hospital in 1928, enlarging the sun porch and altering the West dormers. The medical center continued under Dr. Rennick's management until his death in 1939.
The building was reopened as a rest home for many years until the mid-1980’s. The building then sat unused for almost 5 years, was then cleaned up and reopened as a children’s daycare for 4 years. It struggled through many short term uses until it became a boarding house around 1999. It was still a boarding house when Gene & Robbie purchased the building in June 2004. The major renovations took 2 ½ years, but many details continued to be fixed & improved on almost a daily basis. The hard work has been recognized locally with the following awards. 2006 Business of the Year, recognized by both the Bitterroot Chamber of Commerce & Stevensville Main Street Association. 2007 Historic Exterior Enhancement. 2008 Garden of the Year. 2008 First Place, Exterior Christmas Decorations. We’ve also been featured in Missoula Magazine, The Bitterroot Star, Ravalli Republic, & Missoulian Newspapers; and on the radio at Montana PB.